Karen S. Campbell
105 Golf Ridge Dr Monroeville, PA 15146 412.559.5575 (M)
Highly skilled and accomplished consultative Human Resources partner offering broad/deep strategic/tactical generalist expertise, coupled with experience in manufacturing, healthcare, not-for-profit, union/non-union environments and employee populations ranging from 100 to 3,500. Particularly strong in total rewards (compensation and benefits), employee relations, talent acquisition, strategic planning, change management, performance management, organizational development, HRIS, and legal compliance.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
SPHR – Senior Professional in Human Resources
CCP – Certified Compensation Professional
California University of PA, California, PA
Master’s in Business Administration
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
M.A., Foundations of Education
B.A., Liberal/Studio Arts
· Implemented a five-year strategy involving a technological and process transformation of the HR department to reduce transactional cost and increase HR capabilities to deliver business value.
· Provided leadership for wellness strategy that resulted in 0% premium cost increase during a four-year period and 12% reduction of participants from the medium to low risk in the most recent year.
· Transitioned job classifications from 100% fixed to 50% variable pay resulting in improved business performance and greater employee satisfaction/retention.
· Developed and implemented an organization-wide goal sharing plan that aligned strategic objectives with individual contributors’ day-to-day activities.
· Employed a retention strategy that incorporated a strategic talent management approach and continuous organizational and departmental improvement via employee engagement survey processes.
Director of Human Resources/HRIS 2013 – 2018
Ellwood Group, Inc., New Castle, PA
· Led transformational activities to improve HR processes’ efficiencies, quality, and focus on adding business value.
· Served as project manager and HRIS administrator to deploy an integrated HRIS with HR Core, payroll, talent management, business intelligence, and time and attendance for 20 subsidiary companies.
· Developed compensation plans to define guidelines and salary ranges to support pay for performance, salary planning, sustainability, visibility, and total rewards management.
· Developed and delivered training for supervisors and HR staff to support HR initiatives and business needs.
· Sourced candidates for critical operational needs and facilitated effective selection and onboarding processes.
Director of Human Resources 2007 – 2013
Wesley Spectrum Services, Pittsburgh, PA
· Member of senior leadership providing oversight, strategy and administration for human resources and organizational development in the areas of talent management, total rewards (compensation and benefits), performance management, organizational development, employee relations, HRIS development and management, and policy development.
· Led the resolution of employee relations and regulatory compliance issues through proactive measure to minimize risk.
· Developed reporting tools and techniques to capture meaningful data for benchmarking and to drive performance.
· Designed and administered total rewards program that included base pay, variable pay plans, benefits, career development and an engaging work environment as components.
Director of Compensation 2006 – 2007
Hamot Medical Center, Erie, PA
· Led the development and execution of the total rewards strategy to support organization’s business objectives and talent acquisition and retention goals. Serve as Total Rewards Communication Team Leader.
· Aligned total rewards and compensation strategy with organizational objectives, develop and execute compensation strategic plan to include base pay plan, incentive pay plans, and recognition programs.
· Developed compensation policies, procedures, and budgets; ensure legal compliance; conducted job task analysis to support documentation; administered job evaluation; coordinated salary survey activity; and provided consultation to recruiters and supervisors for salary decisions.
· Managed the development, implementation and assessment of performance management process.
Vice President, People Management Resources 1996 – 2006
SMC Business Councils, Pittsburgh, PA
· As an executive team member, key accountability included internal human resources management, including staffing, employee relations, organizational design, compensation and benefits, policies and practices, and legal compliance.
· Provided human resources consulting services to member companies in the areas of strategic planning facilitation, benefits, planning, compensation (including base, variable / incentive pay plans, and performance management processes), retention strategies, talent acquisition, employment law, human resources management assessment, policies and practices, labor relations / union avoidance, and workers’ compensation loss management.
· Project Manager for the production of the following regional compensation surveys: SMC Salary Survey, SMC Wage Survey, SMC Wage Adjustment Survey, and SMC Policies and Practices Surveys.
· Developed and delivered customized training for businesses to include leadership and supervisory skills development and human resources management and practices.
· Collaborated with regional and national workforce intermediaries, learning providers, and manufacturers on initiatives and systems to improve skills and retention of the emergent and incumbent manufacturing workforce.
· Edited SMC HRM Update, a monthly human resources management newsletter for human resources professionals and business managers/executives.
Adjunct Faculty (Part-time), Human Resources Management Graduate Program
2004 – 2006
LaRoche College, Pittsburgh, PA
· Developed and taught the Training and Development course for HRM graduate program.
· Provided mentoring and guidance to students.
Human Resources Manager 1995 – 1996
RedZone Robotics, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA
Employee Relations – Ensured company policies comply with employment laws and regulations and reflected best HR practices. Developed employee handbook, conducted new hire orientations, and provided human resources consultation to employees, supervisors, and managers.
Talent Acquisition – Conducted workforce planning, program design and execution for engineering, IT, management, technical, marketing, and administrative positions.
Benefits Administration – Managed employee benefits programs, e.g., health, FSA, disability, 401(k) plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Paid-Time-Off, workers’ compensation and employee communications.
Compensation Management – Developed and administered compensation programs (including incentive pay and job evaluation/descriptions). Designed and implemented a new performance management plan. Served as payroll supervisor.
Human Resources Manager 1993 – 1995
SYTEK, Pittsburgh, PA
Labor Relations – Administered collective bargaining agreements; foster positive relations through cooperative programs, participate in grievance resolution, arbitrations, and negotiations.
Benefits Administration – Managed employee benefit programs to include coordination with Plan Trustees, Insurers, Health Service Providers and Third-Party Administrators. Conduct employee needs assessment, utilization review, cost-benefit analysis and implement a cost management strategy. Direct funding/investments for defined benefit and defined contribution plans and self-insured health plan. Administer top hat plans. Ensure compliance with ERISA regulations.
Payroll/Compensation Administration – Supervise payroll and implement a new pay system (ADP) for six U.S. sites.
Staffing – In conjunction with Location Managers (six locations nationwide), coordinate the recruitment and selection process. Serve as EEO / Affirmative Action Officer.
Loss Control and Safety Management – Organize a loss control management system that included a proactive workers’ compensation program, safety awareness program, accident investigation procedures, and human factors engineering analysis. Maintain OSHA statistics. Develop and implement Anti-Substance Abuse Policy/Program.
PowerLinks, Advisory Board Member (2017 – present)
Founding Partner and Advisory Committee Member – People Do Matter: Recognizing Innovation in Human Resources Management (2000 – 2006)
Grantee and Project Manager – Workforce Innovation Networks / National Association of Manufacturers, Retention and Advancement Human Resources Demonstration (2000 – 2005)
Founding Member and Co-President – Western PA Total Compensation Association (2001-2003)
Executive Group Member – Manufacturing Workforce Development Cluster (2001 – 2003)